Sunday, March 15, 2009

Matt (my very able assistant) and I are in one of the more beautiful parts of the Province today.  Spent yesterday walking through the mountains in search of historic point-of-origin sites for enemy indirect fires.  Though we did not find much, the views were well worth the walk.  
It is a shame (if that is a strong enough sentiment) that hundreds of years of warring have kept this part of the world so impoverished.

Well - to let you all know - our Warriors are still dealing with the death of our brother.  We held a memorial service a few days ago - and several of those closest to PFC D- spoke to his spirit, his generosity.  Truly, this Soldier epitomized what it is to be a Warrior - one who really was motivated by a heart of service.  Our Public Affairs folks are in the process of packaging a video copy of the memorial, letters from soldiers and commanders, coins and patches left on the Memorial Stand after the ceremony - and those items will be shipped to his parents and one-year old girl.  Our prayer now - is for resilience, increased vigilance, and God's restorative grace in the lives of D's family - both here and back home.

Just a random thought - the longer we are here (and we are nearing a month now), the easier it is to become complacent.  I mean that militarily - but especially spiritually.  Seems like the more familiar and comfortable I become with my surroundings, the greater the temptation to fall back on natural gifts (albeit in short supply), routine, etc.  When the environment is new, somewhat frightening, difficult - it is with much greater ease that I pursue relationship with, and strength from God.  Even now, though the threat has certainly not decreased (if anything, the closer to the summer we come - the greater the danger) - still, familiarity is working to breed complacency.  I can tell a real difference in my life and in the authority with which I live and proclaim Christ - when I have gotten to a place where I am 'too busy' to draw near to Him.  

The last couple of days have been like that.  I have, however - the great blessing from God of a wife who calls me routinely back to center - even when she does not do it with intentionality.  And, I have a God who is more deeply interested in relationship with me - and the quality of that relationship - even than I.  Usually, I am called back to pursuit of Christ - renewed intensity in prayer and His Word, when my own resources once again prove too shallow.

How mysterious, I sometimes think it is, that God has ordained to make Himself discernible, only to those who - with diligence - seek Him!  I would then, that God would keep me in places of dependency.  I am glad for desert places, where my thirst for You - O, Lord - may be quickened.  Draw me to mountain paths, where I must look to my Righteous Guide for every step.  Above all Lord, do not let me rest long in ease - where I may give up both drinking long and depending much on You - lest I become passionless and purposeless - and content in that despairing condition.

2 comments:

  1. Matthew, I am so thankful for your words tonight. I needed the reminder. You are so dear to me...and I am so very proud of the way you allow God to use you. I love your passion for Him and that draws me even more to you. I pray that He directs your every step..that your words and thoughts would be His. I am so thankful to have a husband that I can love and miss so deeply. God covers it with His peace until you return to me.
    "I arise today, through God's might to uphold me, God's wisdom to guide me, God's eye to look before me, God's ear to hear me, God's hand to guard me, God's way to lie before me and God's shield to protect me." Saint Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Matthew! It is always great to find beauty in a place with so much ugliness going on. Routine is the enemy, no matter if you are on the front lines or just living day to day. The only difference is one can just ruin your life, the other will end it. Keep your guard up bud, and make sure your brothers are always razor sharp as well.
    Dios te bendiga!

    ReplyDelete