As always - you guys amaze me with your persistent generosity and love. I am grateful to you - and the Warriors of Team Paktya send their thanks too! To all who are curious - the bags were packed with a great assortment of nuts, cookie packs, jerky (always a favorite), a variety of candy, a letter from Pastor Jon, and cards from the kids (which were great by the way). The packages went very fast! I brought the box into the Tactical Operations Center and the little morale / welfare / recreation room they've got up here and it was empty in about 30 seconds! :-)
So - I am just guessing at the journey this box has taken . . .
- Left Flintstone, GA some several weeks ago - via what I am sure was a very interesting route, it eventually arrived in Bagram, Afghanistan - probably loaded onto a C-130 and flown somewhere south of Paktya, before loading onto a CH-47 Helicopter - to finally arrival at my FOB in Paktya (not that I own any property there). The package was delivered to the FOB Chapel via Gator; then I carried it back to the airfield - loaded it onto the aforementioned (previous blog) Puma - and carted it off to the COP on which I am currently located.
Wow! What a journey! But I'll bet the care and concern with which it was sent far outdistances the miles travelled. Don't know how I have come to be blessed with such friends - but I am very grateful to the Lord for you all! So - again - thanks Pastor Jon, Mrs. Libby and all your great Caravan Leaders - and especially all you great kids! You guys are the best! Thanks too for the book Nathan (I am already reading it) - and for the personal notes - sure do miss you all.
grace and peace to you guys,
matthew
Matthew,
ReplyDeleteLoved reading about you and the guys and seeing the pictures. Lynn and I miss you and the family so much. We are praying for you all every day. Love Grandma Ann
Having you there and reading your posts helps me to stay aware of the on-going crisis' in the world. Not in a fearful way, thankfully, but your straight-forward (non-cliche) spiritual confidence is so helpful. It's great that your packages arrived - I always wondered whether things ever get there - through soooo many stops.
ReplyDeleteAs an aside - I am also quite interested in your tales of getting to know the locals. As ministers, we so often hide from the people we are sent to minister to, behind a wall of "administration, personal fears, past hurts", etc. Yet, that is most certainly NOT the way Jesus ministered. Quite the opposite. I am learning so many things this year in ARC training - some that I want to emmulate, some just the opposite. Interestingly, your posts are part of my training. Thank you.
Deborah -
ReplyDeletethank you for your always kind words, very encouraging. Please tell Gary and your great kids that I said hello!
Grandma Ann -
great to hear from you! I have written back and forth with Ken some lately - he is an incredible man.
grace and peace dear sister, grandma, friend