We have had a very difficult week here. Lost our first soldier on Sunday to an IED. Two others, who are not in our unit, but within our task force (and certainly our brothers), were injured. One of the two was burned pretty severely. I will say that I am amazed with the compassion and resolve with which our sodliers and leaders have faced this tragedy. You all would be impressed too with the restraint of our warriors. They caught the man whom we believe to have detonated the bomb, but he gave no resistance and our men did not harm him - only detained him and turned him over to the Afghan authorities. They will perform a full investigation, and afterwards the man will be convicted and sentenced - if found guilty. You can imagine, I am sure, what great restraint is required, after losing a close friend, to soldier with wisdom and not from pure emotion. Our soldiers are in every sense professionals. Very lethal, very ready and willing to engage the enemy - yet very wise in the exercise of that lethality. I am daily impressed by these young men - you all would be also.
I am also thankful for the commanders that we have out here. I have said before, both publicly and privately, that this unit has been blessed with outstanding leadership, and there is no more pressing moment for us to be committed to prayer on their behalf. And not for the commanders only - but for the Platoon Sergeants and Squad leaders who have to employ soldiers by name - and sometimes at the cost of their lives. Very difficult decisions to make - and it takes men of courage to make them. I pray for them too, that God will give them spirits of power, love and wisdom (whether or not they acknowledge Christ as Lord).
Ofcourse, we will not forget our fallen brother. The soldiers say that he was a 'gentle giant' - loved by everyone. He would typically wake about a half hour before everyone else in his squad to make the coffee and watch cartoons. Not your stereo-typical steely-eyed killer huh? Yet, he was a very capable warrior, prepared for battle, a willing participant in the emancipation of this troubled place. May the Living God grant him mercy and grace - peace to his dear family - and embolden us by his sacrifice.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope you don't mind, but I am sharing your blog with my family and Preston's family as well. It is so comforting to hear about what is going on over there. Yall are so far away , but close in our hearts.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this blog. It is comforting to read since my husband is also over there in the unit. We will continue to keep our unit in prayers and I am so thankful that my husband was not badly injured.
ReplyDelete