Monday, April 6, 2009

ramblngs

Not sure how to communicate the experience of the last few days. Weather has been terrible - which prevents operations, and some that are of great importance to the long term success of the mission in Paktya. So, there has been a good deal of waiting around - to be sure, taking care of details, upgrading living conditions on the COPS, etc.
For me personally, these last few days have been a time of questioning - specifically, what will I do long term, what is the best course for my family and I in service to the Lord - and general care for one another. Some elements of this ministry are especially hard for me. Like most, I really like having a 'mission.' I realize that ministry, evangelism, bearing witness to the Lord - that is a mission - but one that, for most, is exercised in the context of daily life - in and with the folks with whom we work, sleep, eat, play. It is very much the same in the Army, with the exception (for a chaplain) - that I have to find opportunities to involve myself in the daily lives of soldiers - I have to, sometimes, create them.

In that sense, there is no 'finished product' for me after a day of work. Granted - there are moments - especially after providing especially needed counsel to a soldier - or praying with another for forgiveness and Christ's Lordship - established in his heart, those are moments for which I would not trade anything. Then there are days when I have to 'look' for work - when the military mission is the priority - and the role of the chaplain is to pray - certainly a vital role - but one that sometimes feels like an afterthought, or - maybe more accurately - one that is difficult to justify as employment. I feel sometimes like I am missing the satisfaction of a mission completed - and I don't wonder that most chaplains struggle with this from time to time. This can be the absolute best job in the world, and sometimes the most frustrating.

Very difficult to put words to my feelings. If I were C.S. Lewis - I am sure that I could word this in such a way that you would all be able to immediately comprehend and relate. You know - I am sure that a lot of folks would say, 'I can't imagine what the problem could be! The government is paying you to witness to Christ - and to those who are in perhaps the greatest need of that witness!'
I completely understand that sentiment - still, wonder sometimes if it would not be better to be paid for a product - and the witness to Christ part be free, wrought of love - for Christ . . . not the paycheck. Still, I would do this work (for now) if the Army paid me as an E4 - it is not the money for which any chaplain serves (at least, not at first).

Sometimes too, there is the fear that we are moving more and more toward some grand equivocation - where all religion is considered to have the same end, and thereby equally worthy of acceptance. I understand fully that, a big part of my existence in the military is to support the free exercise of religion of our soldiers - regardless of their bent and conviciton. Still, at this point, I do that because Christ has given all of us freedom of will - I do not do that out of compulsion that just any faith, other than the one faith rooted in Jesus, is worth pursuing. But ours is not a religion like Islam - compulsory - nor has our Lord ever approved of an evangelism that is not grounded in freedom and love. Still - doesn't it seem like the direction of things is more and more toward a toleration that bleeds over into syncretism? I think the day may come when many chaplains will have to choose between allegiance to our Lord Christ and allegiance to the State and a paycheck.

Well, a little over a month and a half have gone by - and this seems to be the time that things start to get hard, at least in the short term. The newness of deployment is dissipating- and through the thinning mist, we can just make out the mountain of days we will climb before the outline of home is visible. I think the next month will be hard for all of us - and a time for consideration too - of what the Lord will do - what He wants to do in our lives. Please Lord Jesus, use this time to speak Your will clearly - and by the grace of difficult days - make us responsive. You never looked for 'work' in the sense that I do Lord, but You dedicated Yourself to the Father, spending your days with Him - and Your life was broken bread for us. Lord Jesus - that our experience of life and work would be the same - dedicated to You, consumed by You, broken bread in Your hands.

6 comments:

  1. Your mission, at least from the government's side of the equation, is the moral of your unit, which is an extremely important mission. If you fail in your mission, especially where you are, then soldiers will be much less effective in their jobs...and we all know what a depressed, less-effective soldier leads to, not just for himself, but his whole unit. I know your job is the type that feels unimportant (only in the job aspect) when everything is going well, but you have to realize that you are accomplishing a very important mission when moral is high. Be safe brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew,
    I wanted to share with you the prayer for today from my Lloyd Ogilvie book... I think it might encourage you this morning. I am so sorry you are down and I am praying for a fresh perspective... take some of that 'down' time and focus in on Him... maybe that is why you have those opportunities.. not to find something or someone ...but, rather just seek Him. Ok.. read this...
    "Worth is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing! Revelation 5:12
    Reigning Lord Jesus, my crucified Savior and risen King, I bless and praise You. All that is within me glorifies Your name. I love You Lord for dying for my sins. I claim that through Your shed blood I have been forgiven. Now show me anything I need to confess so I can claim freedom from guilt. Especially, I ask for Your power to liberate me from any repetitive thoughts, habit patterns, or attitudes that keep me from living at full potential for Your glory.
    Thank You Lord for setting me free to soar today. I ask for a fresh anointing of Your joy so that I may bring gladness into the dull, gray drabness in which so many people live.
    Give me a vibrant expectation for how You will intervene in the challenges I face today. I commit myself to seek and do Your will in each moment. But Lord, You know I often blunder ahead without asking for Your guidance. So keep my mind stayed on You and my heart open to You. Because You conquered at Calvary, rose from the dead on Easter, and live to lead Your people to triumph, I can face today's problems and tomorrow's possibilities.
    Today I will answer the question-who would be convinced that You are alive and mighty to help those who trust You because of the way I live today?"
    This prayer today just seemed very fitting... no ministry or job is fulfilling everyday... just remember and take comfort in knowing He placed you right where you are.. for now. And, know that I believe you are the best Chaplain to be with the soldiers you are ministering to... I could not stand this separation if I believe anything less.. You are an amazing man and I am so very blessed and thankful to be married to you. I am so proud of you and know that you are making a difference. "Take Heart my friend... we'll go together... " I am praying for you today..and every day with every thought. I love you.
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post today reminded me of a "MASH" episode from years ago. It was about Fr. Mulcahee (sp), who was having a crisis of conscience after a soldier accused him of trying to offer comfort without knowing the realities of war. He proceeded to sneak away to the "front", and nearly got himself shot. It was a very thought-provoking episode, even as a SA officer. It's true that our work cannot ever be outcome-based or measurable. And sometimes, when we line it up next to the sacrifices both we are our loved ones have to make, it hardly seems worthwhile. I guess we then hang on to the words of Paul, when he said that our work for the Lord would never be in vain.

    Praying for you and Jamie and your little ones, for a strong sense of purpose and fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt, We're still praying for you here in the Valley! I can't imagine the stress you're under being away from Jamie & the kids, in a strange and dangerous land far from home with so much responsibility. Hang in there and know that God understands you and your feelings. I know you will pray hard and make the right decisions for all concerned and He will make all things work for your good in the end. We pray for you every Tues. at Alice's Bible study and I'm keeping up with your blog. You are missed here and even though you are gone you are certainly not forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Matt,

    You (and your family) are in our families prayers constantly. The kids are actually coming over after school today to give Jaime a little down time before the weekend. I just hope she doesn't spend it doing housework or something :) Kyler is very excited to run with Bram tomorrow morning and through the summer. I feel so blessed that your family made the decision to stay. Kyler is in need of a friend like Bram. He is truly an answer to this Mom's prayers. And Tori and Hannah, well the mischief level definitely goes up a notch when they are together!
    So, the kids wanted to put together a box for you and your fellow soldiers. What types of things ship the best that are wanted or needed? Don't leave anything out, the more suggestions the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I might add, Jamie isn't the only one interested in updates - get busy on here... inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete