Spent yesterday morning waiting, and waiting - with the rest of the Denali Squadron. So much of what I do centers around the stressed marriages of these men. Three of these guys, with whom I have been involved with ongoing counsel had good news to report. All three had been on the verge of divorce and all three had made good progress in reconciliation in the days prior to departure. I know that may sound likely, as emotions are high - but really it is sometimes the opposite which results. Those last few days can be fraught with tension, arguments - as the guys are emotionally detaching from home, while their wives are trying desperately to hold on. At any rate, these guys came, one by one, to report that either divorce was off the table for the time, or better - that they were leaving home with their relationship dramatically improved.
So - we celebrated that, prayed together and were able, for several, to get this thing started well.
So, Matt and I, and 300 of our closest friends have finally got beyond the 'leaving home' wall and now can get focused on the mission, getting it done and getting home. We are waiting for a flight out of here and on to the second stop over before arrival at our final destination for the year. I am being careful about details and locations, though most of you know that we will be along the Pakistani border, our unit having been given the mission to secure that area, connect the populace there to their government - the GIROA (gov. of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan), develop infrastructure, and win the Information Operations battle in the region. No small task - and really, will be the product of many years if it is to be done well.
Thanks very much to all of you who sent phone cards - I have passed out several to soldiers just this morning - and they were grateful to receive them. I will post some pictures as soon as I am connected to an internet provider with a little bit of speed.
One last note before I close this out for the day. Our Squadron Surgeon - a fine Christian man - Major David G. Has begun to collect coats for the children in our province in earnest. Afghanistan is the 4th most impoverished country in the world, our little corner of it is one of the poorest in the country - and so, David and I thought it would be time well spent (and allow many of you all to get involved personally) to collect coats, and perhaps later - shoes also - to distribute to children in our province. (I will tell you the name of the Province after we have arrived.) Well, you know I am something of a procrastinator - Dr. G is not. He got started early, and his church youth group (a Methodist Church in Augusta, GA) has raised about 700 coats so far. Sheesh! I spoke with Joyce on the phone a day or so ago - and planned to invite Libby and Leigh to get the Chatt. Valley kids involved. Would you all like to participate in this? I sure think it would be a great way to communicate the love of Christ in this place - where overt means of evangelism are unlawful.
It would mean collecting and dry cleaning the coats, and we will figure out the shipping as we go. It may be that we can convince the Army to ship out of Delaware for free, or we may have to pay for it. Not sure what the outcome of that will be right now.
For any more of you (not at Chatt. Valley) who would like to be involved in this, consider yourselves invited, encouraged, implored, begged. We cannot collect too much I don't think.
In the meantime. Prayer requests:
Soldiers and their marriages
Wives and children
A Soldier who's son is having a really hard time with this (his dad's 4th of 5th deployment - can't remember exactly).
There are others - but I will communicate more later.
May the grace and the peace of Christ be with you all.
matthew
We are following the news in the area and praying for your safety.
ReplyDelete