Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sunday Morning


Another Sunday morning in Afghanistan. One of very few left here (at least this time around). As is typical, I will spend much of the morning figuring out what to talk about tonight in Chapel. I am perhaps one of today's leading procrastinators. Funny, being married to one of the era's great planners. Sometimes hard to believe that she has endured 18+ years of spontaneity and general chaos.

It is a beautiful morning here in Kowst Province and the paratroopers of Denali-land are well underway with plans to return home. Hard not to start counting days at this point - though it is not particularly helpful to do that. We are so anxious to reunite with our families . . . and our Salmon . . . and our Moose's Tooth Pizza. But it will come - and a watched deployment doesn't end any quicker than a watched pot boils.

A couple things are on my mind this morning - and some relative to chapel service tonight. Firstly, I am positive that God has been in this whole thing with us. I do not mean that in any sort of political sense. I mean that, as a Sovereign God (as my Chaplain Assistant - the good Calvinist, always reminds me that God is), He thoroughly controls the events of our world. That raises tons of questions, I understand that - and have no intention of addressing all of them here - nor do I suggest that I even have the capacity to address all of them. But if that is true - then ALL the events of our lives have the potential to both glorify God and serve our good (at least as God envisions our good).

John Piper, in his book Desiring God - which I heartily recommend - would tell you that those two ends are NOT (as so many fear) mutually exclusive. God's glory -and our good - work together, are - in fact, mutually supportive. All that to say, you and I may very Biblically and very truly say "it was not (the Army) who sent us here, but God." I know that sounds like an incredibly bold, even audacious claim - but it is in keeping with the Biblical record of God's working in the world.

What purposes then does He intend? Not sure that will just be crystal clear all of the time - but I think we will come to identify much of it. I think too, that the man and woman who set out from the place of faith - will more readily see it. Some will say that is something like "self-fulfilling prophecy" or "you see what you want to see." I think it goes much deeper than that. You can't read any of the Scripture narratives and fail to see that God is an Author. He writes the stories of lives. Not only for those who want His Authorship - but for the world. Recognition of that - submission to it - and ultimately gratitude for it - that is the what is called for - especially in light of the incredible end to which God has gone to call us out of our fallen story and into His glorious one.

Whatever He intends, I AM SURE that it does not include the disintegration of our marriages. And that is, for far too many, a byproduct of a year-long separation. Incredibly, I know that some of you are wrapping up your third, fourth, even fifth deployment. I am amazed by your resilience - but it takes a toll doesn't it?

I want you to know that a group called Family Life will be hosting a Marriage Conference @ the Anchorage Marriott Downtown on the 26th, 27th, and 28th of March. It is called "A Weekend to Remember" and it is truly a phenomenal event! Really, it is maybe the best thing going for marriages. Whether yours is thriving or barely surviving - this will be a worthwhile experience. It is not a military deal - though our offerings are usually good, these folks have been holding conferences for years - all over the world. More than one million couples have attended a "A Weekend to Remember."

If you think you might be interested - go to www.familylife.com and check out more about their conferences. I think it is truly Providential that this conference will be in Anchorage (which only happens once every year) right when we are getting home. Please spread the word about the event - and get registered as quick as you can. Seats sell out every year - all 650 of them - so don't delay. Also - I suggest that you plan to stay at the Hotel - or a nearby hotel for the whole event. It starts Friday night and ends Sunday Morning - plenty of time for just you and your spouse - but you need to really get away to maximize the experience. It will be fun, the speakers are great, and it is an absolutely NO pressure kind of deal - so don't get worried and worked up about it - just go.

The "Weekend to Remember" tickets will be about $138 bucks per couple (that is with the military discount) and the hotel price @ the Marriott is something like $99 per night - for conference attendees. So - you are looking at about $350 bucks all total (before meals). Not so much when you are talking about an investment in your marriage.

For those of you outside of Alaska - check out the conference page on www.familylife.com anyway - they hold events all over the place - and many more of them in the lower 48.

Can't wait to get home and see you all - and hope to see you at the conference!

grace and peace to you in Christ - the Author and Finisher of our faith,
ch matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment